Hard to tell what is happening in Manchester these days but crime is up despite whatever is being “reported.” A man was stabbed to death on the rail trail near Nutts Pond by a known violent homeless man who had just been released on bail. WTF is happening?
Ep. 29 The Carla Gericke Show Deep Dives on the Mark Stebbin Center Controversy
Controversial backroom deal to declare a public park with a robust community garden “surplus” in order to sell this green space to a private developer without telling the people living in the neighborhood? Say it isn’t so! This week, I discuss my recent op-ed in the Union Leader regarding the unethical mess happening at Parkside Park. Get involved!
Sign up for alerts: ParksidePark.org
Next meeting: 8/16 5-7PM at Parkside Middle. YOUR voice counts if YOU show up!
In a recent op-ed, Kathy Sullivan accused me of making unfounded accusations about the proposed Mark Stebbins Center. You can read her inaccurate statements HERE.
Let’s unpack “unfounded accusations,” shall we?
1. It will NOT be paid for “entirely with charitable donations.” There is federal ARP grant money, which they admitted ON VIDEO at the abridged meeting that they cut short when they realized their unethical approach to “community building”–you know, ripping out an actual existing community garden–was backfiring.
2. “Built on land purchased by the City.” NO RFP was requested or required, which is standard operating procedure. Therefore, this deviated from the norm, therefore, it is “special treatment.” This land was designated “surplus” without any criteria being stated or met. Many boilerplate letters were submitted with NO EVIDENCE; again, because the ACTUAL FACTS ARE the land IS BEING USED BY THE COMMUNITY ALREADY.
3. “When the board of mayor and alderman supported”: 14 residents spoke AGAINST the decision. 8–ALL AFFILIATED with the city or project spoke in “favor” (i.e. they should be “discounted” because they have a conflict of interest). To Sally Stebbins’ credit, she did say the project will not proceed without community support. This is also captured on video, and I hope we can believe her.
4. The community partners listed include health services for juveniles that provide, amongst other things, transgender reassignment services and chemical abortions. (Amoskeag Health, where Maggie Hassan had a little presser yesterday, hum.) The other community partners listed include: Easterseals, Waypoint, Mental Health Center of Greater Manchester & Granite United Way. I encourage people to go look at what the areas around some of these places look like on the East Side, and ask yourself if this is what we want next to a middle school?
5. How do we define “underserved”? Manchester isn’t a big city, and you can WALK from the West to East side in 15 minutes, let alone drive from the proposed building site to the current Boys and Girls club in about 5 minutes (it’s less than 2 miles away!).
6. There are several other sites more suitable than a park hosting a thriving community garden on 5 dead end streets where the speed limit is 10 mph. I guess the reason this was picked is because the City thought they could railroad us?
The next meeting is scheduled for 8/16 at 5PM at Parkside Middle. PLEASE plan to attend.
This week in Manch Talk, we discuss economic incentives, private vs. public approaches, and how the whole of Manchester would be better off if a handful of elites weren’t trying to control everything down to the pool hours.
Breaking the tax cap, pretending inflation isn’t affecting us all, and more!
Do You Know What Manchester’s Budget Is and What You Are Getting For It? (Manch Talk 05/17/22)
This week, we go in-depth into Manchester’s upcoming City Budget. Tammy breaks down different parts and what we get for it… Tune in to learn more about how your very own environment works!
Carla is fasting this week so she’s speaking faster than usual! Hahaha. We discuss latest C19 stats, upcoming Ward 9 election, and how to wrap your head around change… Be willing to think outside the box!
March 1, 2022 means Big Pharma is supposed to drop safety and efficacy data today. Is that why everyone is spoiling for WWIII? Reminders! Special election coming up in Ward 9 on March 15. Our pick is Victoria Sullivan for Manchester.